If You Or Someone You know Has Blount's Disease, I Really Want To Hear From You! Please Email Me!

Now, there is a place to go... Now, we are no longer alone...

BenHasBlounts@gmail.com

Thursday, February 17, 2011

After Diagnosis...

After the diagnoses of Blount's Disease a family can expect to go and see an Orthopaedic Surgeon. This doctor is the one who will set you up with Physical Therapy. Sometimes the wait list to see the Surgeon can be up to 3 months!! My advice to parents would be to educate yourself as much as possible. Take notes, write down questions. If the wait is too long and you want to do something in the meantime; find out what Physical Therapist your surgeon works with and see if you can make an appointment with them. This way, you can perhaps get a jump start on any treatment options.

When you do go to any appointment; TAKE YOUR CAMERA!! Take pictures of the xRays; if you can take video of your child walking. These are good things to have as reference.

Here are some examples of questions you may want to ask your doctor & physical therapist...


~ How many Blount's cases have you treated?


~ How many cases of Blount's do you see in a year?


~Will my child be in any pain and/or discomfort?


~How should I treat that pain? ie Tylenol, ibuprofen, hot baths, etc..


~Where does my child rate on the "Langenskiold Staging"?


~Do you have any literature I can have to take home and read?


~ If my child didn't have "Blount's Disease"; how would you treat his/her symptoms?


~Is there anything else you think I should know?




If you are like me; sometimes after I am home I think of a million more questions. If that is the case, I suggest making an appointment to sit down and talk with the doctor. If they aren't available; get a babysitter and take lunch to the office!! Do whatever is within your power to do to be as proactive in your child's care as possible.

I know a lot of the families who have contacted me have appointments and surgeries over the next few weeks. I am thinking of you! Please keep me posted! Good luck!


Ben, January 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment