If You Or Someone You know Has Blount's Disease, I Really Want To Hear From You! Please Email Me!

Now, there is a place to go... Now, we are no longer alone...

BenHasBlounts@gmail.com

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ben's Fifth Physical Therapy Appointment...

Today we went and saw Lisa; Ben's PT... and our Orthotist John met us there as well.  Ben did pretty well, as usual! I made sure to bring cookies and suckers to bribe him with! That seems to work every time! When we go to PT, it's a lot of walking for Ben. Up and down the hall, fast and slow; with braces off, with them on. Today he kept saying "hold you"... I just try and stay positive and distract him. I'll admit, sometimes its hard not to just pick him up and take him home. I really hate the fact that he is put in the position where others are watching his every move. Where he has to walk a certain way so that he can be looked at. It's very humbling; and very emotional. I am always drained after every appointment. I know that the whole team that treats Ben is doing the very best job; and they have to do a variety of things in order to help him get better. I try and find comfort in that.

Lisa and John both agreed that Ben's left leg, which is in the KAFO brace looks awesome! His right leg though, is starting to turn in more. So Lisa figured out a way to put the Thera Tog only on Ben's right leg to help with his rotation. As soon as he started walking the difference was obvious. She also put an insert into Ben's right shoe, to help with the balance of his hips. Having one straight leg ( thanks to the KAFO ) was making him walk a little lop-sided.

Here is a short video of Ben walking with both braces on for the first time....




Ben still doesn't have any sores or blisters on his left leg; which makes me happy. Even though the KAFO was made specifically for him, this is just part of wearing braces. Every time we take the braces off, whether its the Thera Tog or the KAFO, I always rub his legs for a few minutes; I think it helps them feel better.


Lisa and I did talk a little about Ben's right leg; saying that here in a few months his left leg might be considered the "good one". We go and see our Orthopaedic Surgeon on March 15th. Our next appointment for PT is March 23rd. So for now we are just going to work hard with these braces and hope for the best!





Ben With Both Braces On... He's Standing a Little Crooked; But Look at Those Straight Legs!



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing your son in a fragile and delicate situation is heartbreaking! I know it’s hard for you and for your little Ben, but I hope you will endure this together. As you continue with his treatment, I hope that he will be able to walk without the braces so you’ll have a lot of happy mother-and-son moments. I wish you all the best!

    ~Jaye Fiecke

    ReplyDelete