If You Or Someone You know Has Blount's Disease, I Really Want To Hear From You! Please Email Me!

Now, there is a place to go... Now, we are no longer alone...

BenHasBlounts@gmail.com

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Ben's Sixth Physical Therapy Appointment...

After an extremely long night of sleeplessness thanks to Ben.... we went and saw Lisa yesterday. Ben was quite uncooperative this go around. Of course I suppose that is what happens when a two year old wakes up at 3:30 in the morning!

Finally, after using a sucker to bribe him with... Ben started walking the hall so that Lisa could watch his legs. I was really hoping to get rid of the Thera Tog on his right side.... Even though it has done wonders for Ben; he seems to mind it a little more now. Instead, we decided to use a longer strap to wrap around his leg and keep it "out toe". We also added a Thera Tog hip strap to Ben's left side. Its a little tricky with the KAFO... But I am really glad that this hip strap will help with the rotation issue I have been worrying about with Ben's left leg.

Lately, it seems like when Ben isn't wearing his braces, he is ready to trip over his feet again. It makes me really sad to see him get back to this point. At the beginning, all we did was address his in toeing and his gate. We didn't have the KAFO brace, just the Thera Tog. Now that we are using the KAFO, his bones are looking better, his leg is straighter; but his rotation is taking steps back. Its a very frustrating time in Ben's treatment. I haven't met another person who has used the Thera Tog to treat Blounts Disease; so I'm not sure if this is a common issue or not. I guess I'll pave the way!

I also wanted to let everyone know, that the metal in Ben's KAFO is starting to make holes in his pants. I usually just put him in sweats so that it is comfortable for him. So if you are on your way to getting a  Blounts KAFO; I would recommend cheap pants and iron-on patches for the inside of the knee area.


This Is a video of Ben walking without  the strap on his right leg...



This is a video of Ben walking with the strap on...



The difference is subtle; but still a difference. We chose to keep the strap on to help with the rotation of his right leg. He also has the hip strap on his left leg (the leg with the KAFO) which is helping with the rotation of his right leg.


Has anyone heard of the Eight Plate? If you have any experience with this surgery; I really would like to hear from you! Please email me at

No comments:

Post a Comment