If You Or Someone You know Has Blount's Disease, I Really Want To Hear From You! Please Email Me!

Now, there is a place to go... Now, we are no longer alone...

BenHasBlounts@gmail.com

Friday, March 4, 2011

Keep Those Braces On!

During my research lately, I have been coming across a ton of posts by parents asking how to keep leg braces on their kids. I also had a mom ask me how I keep Ben from taking his off. I know how difficult it can be; so I thought I would give us all a little pep talk!

Don't feel guilty that you aren't doing enough! We all want the best for our kids and it can be SO hard to stay motivated. Especially when your child doesn't want to wear the braces. When Ben was only using the Thera Tog brace I would wake him up from nap a little early so that he was still sleepy and wouldn't fight me. I have also used cookies, suckers, videos on my cell phone... all as bribery to get him to hold still! I really saw a change in his defiance after I was more consistent with putting them on. Now he knows what I'm doing; and he even tries to help.

I think with younger kids, like Ben, it is easy to make up a song, or go through the steps in an enthusiastic way... "Let's put on the BIG sock now!".... "Push your foot in!"... "Wow you are tough".... With older kids however; I can imagine it being more difficult. Ben has two older sisters; so I am familiar with compromise! Here are some ideas you can use to get your older kids on board with the braces:

~ Let them pick out a family movie for everyone to watch...

      "You were such a big kid with your braces today, YOU get to pick out a movie!"

~ Pick an activity for them to do "brace free"...

      "Keep your braces on all day, and then on Friday, we can go to the park with no brace!"

~ Go to the store and pick a special craft, or start a reward chart

~ Show your child videos of other children with braces, let them know they are not alone

~ STAY POSITIVE!

These might seem like little things, and they are... but to a child, positive reinforcement is the best way! I would also hold your ground; don't ask if they will put on the brace; tell them they need to. This is just a part of life... If you aren't upset and frustrated; and you are confident, they will be too.

If you have a few bad days, don't dwell on them! Everyday is a chance to start over...Guilt will help no one. If you still can't get your child to keep the brace on, you might try vet tape. It's sticky on one side, completely flexible; and is safe to use over any type of leg brace. You can find it at feed stores and most medical supply shops. Here is a link to buy it online...

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Elastic-Adhesive-Tape-Inch/dp/B003IYGS24

I am positive that if I can keep Ben's braces on... You can do the same with your child! Don't give up!
Keep those braces on!

Ben during nap... wearing his braces. Thera Tog on the right leg and the KAFO on the left


How do you get your kids to keep their braces on? I'd love to hear your ideas!

2 comments:

  1. We did the Bribe thing today, thanks for the idea. We also use an extra calendar and had Little Girl put a chuckie cheese sticker sticker on yesterday's date, and this evening, today's date. She put it on at 7 and didn't take it off until 7. That's the most she ever wore it!
    Plus, B got her an ice cream and said maybe every friday we can do that.
    Also, we confirmed out appointment today to pick up her new thigh cuff and have adjustments Monday morning at Scottish Rite in Dallas. Thanks for conecting with me and the words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke Anna~ That is amazing news! And thank you so much.... Everytime I talk to a new parent; I get a new idea to blog about. I'm so thankful that we can communicate and share our ideas! Please let me know how your appointment goes!

    ReplyDelete