If You Or Someone You know Has Blount's Disease, I Really Want To Hear From You! Please Email Me!

Now, there is a place to go... Now, we are no longer alone...

BenHasBlounts@gmail.com

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Misconceptions...

For a few months now, I have been reading everything I can on Blount's Disease. Some things, I don't fully understand; thanks to the medical jargon... But I think I know quite a bit!

It is upsetting to me that when most people read something on Blount's Disease, they automatically assume that your child is obese. I honestly think that for the average person to read a medical definition of Blounts, is probably confusing... perhaps finding words in that definition that are more common, such as "obesity", the general public think that this disease is caused by "being fat"... All of us who have personal experience with Blounts know different!!

It is true that the deformity caused by Blount's Disease is due to the weight baring on the bones. For most people this is fine; but with Blount's kids... the bones don't handle it well, and they start to deform.

Another misconception I have come across is that during pregnancy, there may have been a deficiency in nutrients. This is also, not the case!

I have found some studies linking a chromosomal abnormality to Blount's Disease. Nothing decisive as of yet; but I think it is interesting; and I hope that someone somewhere does a study to look further into this possibility. I am confused though that some medical websites say that it isn't hereditary, but that it is genetic... Hmm...

Definition of GENETIC : Genetics, in biology, the science of genes, heredity, and the variation of organisms


Genetic, used as an adjective, refers to heredity of traits

CONFUSING!

So much about this disease is confusing. It doesn't seem like doctor's and patients are on the same page. A lot of the medical professionals writing the "definitions of Blount's Disease" aren't even on the same page as Ben's Orthopaedic Surgeon. Basically, what I have been told by our doctor, whom I LOVE, is that with Infantile Blount's, it is not due to obesity, it is not due to poor nutrition, and it doesn't seem to run in families.

What I know for sure:

~ Blount's disease is pro dominant in African Americans

~ When caught early, most kids will not have long lasting effects

~ Blounts is so rare that most pediatricians don't recognize that not all children grow out of bow legs and in-toeing... Most pediatricians don't even know what Blount's disease is!


As parents we are our child's best advocate... we know when something is askew. Keep fighting for your kids! Network, and get the information that you do have out there!

***Please note that I am not a medical professional; and that these are just my personal opinions***

No comments:

Post a Comment